Maus Study Guide
1. What is a graphic novel? What is a memoir?
2. What is a Holocaust Survivor? What does the term imply?
3. What kind of relationship does Art Spiegelman and his father have?
4. Why is the first chapter of the book called “The Sheik”?
5. Who is Ms. Stefanska? Why does she go to jail?
6. How does Vladek’s father try to keep him out of the army? Why doesn’t he want his son to go into the army? Was he successful?
7. After his release from the POW and work camps, Vladek is not able to immediately return home. What happens?
8. Why do the Germans hang Nahum Cohn and his son?
9. What happens to Anja?
10. How does Vladek get along with Mala?
11. Why is Vladek always riding his exercise bike? What is that a symbol of?
12. What is the significance of Vladek's dream about his grandfather? What recurring meaning does "Parshas Truma" have in his life?
13. Although Jews were allowed only limited rations under the Nazi occupation, Vladek manages to circumvent these restrictions for a while. What methods does he use to support himself and his family?
14. What kind of man is Vladek Spiegelman?
15. How is the Holocaust a part of life after the Holocaust?